Constipation is a common symptom in children that is characterized by the absence of seat for several days in a row and the appearance of hard seats.
Causes of constipation in children
Children who suffer from constipation are treated differently than adults, because bowel is different from birth and up to 3-4 years. Most children with constipation do not suffer from any disease that may be the cause of constipation.
• The most common cause of constipation in young children is to avoid the toilet for several reasons. Children are so caught up in their game that will not waste time on the toilet.
• Constipation occurs when children travel, or when he needs to use a new toilet.
• At school, children avoid going to the bathroom, complaining of lack of privacy or lack of cleanliness in common toilets.
• Changes in diet affect bowel movements. When a child begins to eat the foods that normally adults eat may suffer from constipation.
• Older children, who eat many sweets, are also likely to suffer from constipation.
• Constipation is due to reduced consumption of fluids.
• Any childhood illness that causes fever, the longer stay in bed, eating less and dehydration can decrease the frequency of the child seat, causing constipation.
• Some medications can cause constipation in children as in adults.
• Some medical problems can promote constipation in children: hypothyroidism, Hirschprung disease, diabetes, mental retardation, cystic fibrosis or spinal cord injury.
Generally, if a child has less than three stools a week, if the stools are hard and difficult to remove, then he suffers from constipation.
Children who suffer from constipation may have dizziness. Also, the seat may contain traces of blood, because the seat is very hard and harms the anus when is eliminated.
How to treat constipation in children?
Treatment of constipation in children is to educate the parents first to prevent constipation.
• Parents need to watch their child to drink enough water.
• If suffer from constipation, children older than 6 months can drink fruit juices: apples, pears, plums and vegetable soups.
• In older children, along with fruit juices, first measure to be taken is to increase intake of dietary fiber (beans, peas, peaches, plums, pears, apricots, spinach, and cauliflower). After 1 year of age, children’s diet should include two meals a day of vegetables and fruits.
• Reduce the intake of foods that can cause constipation: cow milk, cheese, bananas.
• In children, constipation is more difficult to treat because of overlapping hard psychological factors influenced their age. Therefore, parents should be patient with children, to pay attention for daily use of potty.
In most cases, constipation in children is due to improper eating and refusal to go to the toilet. Therefore, balanced diet and educating children to go to the toilet habit are measures to resolve constipation.
Situations in which you should seek medical assistance are:
– When episodes of constipation last longer than 3 weeks
– If your child is unable to conduct normal activities
– When anal lesions occur due to constipation
– When there are small pieces of mucosa through the anus or hemorrhoids
– When a child fails to evacuate the seat by defecation.
Calivita natural products recommended for good digestion in children
– Probiotics are essential for good intestinal flora, for colon and digestive system health. ProbioBalance contains important species of probiotics such as L. acidophilus, L. rhamnosus and bacillus longum for good digestive function, both in adults and children.
– Noni Liquid is very useful in digestive disorders such as constipation, indigestion and helps form gastric juice.
– Probiotics, vegetable fibers and all other nutrients present in the composition of Kids Greens supplement helps to increase immune function, stimulates energy production, elimination of toxins from the body and maintains healthy intestinal flora.