Obesity is a disease which does not turn out overnight, but it grows slowly from unhealthy lifestyle, poor diet and to some extent from genes. At present time obesity is considered as one of the complex diseases which occurs due to several reasons or we can say has no single cause and cure exists.
People start gaining weight when the intake of calories is more than burning them via exercises or any physical activities. Lack of sleep, pregnancy, medicinal problems, emotions, stress,unhealthy lifestyle and diet are some of the root cause of obesity or overweight. Energy balance is also a major factor of overweight and obesity. By energy balance we mean that the amount of energy to get IN is must be equals to energy OUT by any activity.
Let’s us put a light on some main causes of obesity and overweight:
- Unhealthy Lifestyle or Inactivity: Inactivity is one of the major causes of obesity. If you are not very active, then you are not able to burn many calories. Means amount of calories intake is higher than you burn them via exercises or daily physical activities.
- Lack of Sleep: Doctors always suggest taking around 7 to 8 hours of sleep at night because if you are getting lesser than 7 hours of sleep at night it will cause changes in hormones and ultimately increase your appetite. This causes craving for more calories and carbohydrate rich food, which can contribute in weight gain.
- Unhealthy Diet and Eating Habits: Unhealthy diet plan and eating habits contribute maximum in weight gain. Having diet’s that are high in calories, junk food, consuming more calories at night, drinking high calorie beverages all time and skipping breakfast all such habits give full support to obesity.
- Emotions: Emotions are also a big reason for obesity. Some individuals indulge themselves into overeating to overcome depression, hopelessness, boredom and anger and so they gain weight easily.
- Pregnancy: During pregnancy, women’s necessarily gain weight. Some women are able to shed those extra pounds they put in after baby birth but some women find it difficult to lose it. This weight gain then grows up in the form of obesity.
- Medication and Medicinal Problems: Certain medications and medicinal conditions can promote obesity. Certain medications such steroids, antidepressants, birth control pills, diabetes medications can lead to weight gain. Depression, Cushing syndrome and hypothyroidism, polycystic ovarian syndrome (PCOS) conditions can also contribute to some extent in weight gain.
- Alcohol: Alcohol is very high in calories so alcoholics are more prone to obesity disease.
- Age: Age is another factor of weight gain. As you get older, you get less active and thus tend to lose muscle which means your body slows down the rate at which it burns the calories and you gain weight.
- Genes: Some individuals can easily gain weight if they are not careful about what they eat. This could be due to your genes. Genes affects several weight related processes in our body such as metabolic rate, metabolism, hormones, fat storage and blood glucose.
- Smoking: Quitting smoking can also be a cause of weight gain. This is because food often tastes and smells better after stop smoking and leads to overeating. Also nicotine raises the rate of burning calories and if you stop smoking it rate falls down.